Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dallas OT, PT and ST Evaluations




Today was a big day with Dallas. Him and I went to have him evaluated by a Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist and a Speech Therapist.

First off we had the OT evaluation. Things went well up until the end when he had one of his "moments" I might call. We were sitting with the lady doing the eval and at the end of it and he stood up while she was talking to me and went over to my bag and got the Leapster game out and started playing. I told him he couldn't play right now we had to finish and he ignored me. So I took it away and put it up. He had a huge tantrum, screaming and yelling and kicking and what not. The OT lady looked at me and said, "I know you aren't enjoying this but it's really good for me to see." I knew that. I knew how good it was that I was thanking God that someone else was finally witness to it and I had tears in my eyes. These tantrums can be so exhausting and hopefully someone can point me in a direction that will help me to get through to him and help him calm down when he gets so worked up like this. Finally we got him calmed down, after about 15 minutes. She went ahead and ended the session and I prayed that while I took him for lunch he would come back and corporate for the PT and ST ladies.

We ate lunch in the car and I let him watch the new movie Nena gave him this morning, Space Buddies. We watched for about 30 minutes and he also got to play on the playground at McDonalds. We headed back and he ran in the door greeting everyone and wanting to go play in their ball pit and climb the rock climbing wall.

The PT eval was great! We had this because of the constant toe walking. She said his heel cords were tight but not so bad it would require surgery, but she wouldn't want them to get any worse. She did a bunch of stuff with him to evaluate him and he was great working with her. She put 2 lb weights around his ankles and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. He walked all around not on his tip toes. She gave me a list of things to work with him one, like walking backwards, crouching like a frog and walking like a duck, some massages and stretches to do and suggestion to buy 3 lb weights to work with on his feet. She said he wouldn't need regular PT. Yah!!

The ST lady was also wonderful! I haven't seen anything wrong at all with his speech. He's always been great in this area I thought, even having a huge vocabulary at 18 months! But the neurologist suggested getting him checked and I figured why not since I was already there. He did good and she said he was just fine and didn't need any ST Yah!

I'm will have to wait on the OT evaluation to see what she says. I know already that he's already behind in fine motor some but that's about all I know. I'm so excited to start the OT! What great resources we have now to correct problems that could have just gotten bigger the older he got and now can be completely eliminated!

No comments: