Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Homemade Peanut Butter

Today I made homemade peanut butter for the first time. We usually go through 1 jar of the store bought kind in a week and since I buy the all natural kind it can get very costly. I figured what better way to be all natural than to make it myself AND save money!!
My recipe for it is 1/4 cup of peanuts to 1 teaspoon on Safflower oil. I got the recipe out of the Super Baby Food book. (Great recipes in there!)
You are supposed to use raw nuts but I never make it to Whole Foods often and Publix didn't have any so I used roasted.
At first I blended it up a little bit (we have a fancy BlendTec Blender) It didn't resemble peanut butter at all! Then I blended it more and more, but still wasn't in the least bit creamy. Finally I put it on the soups automatic mixer button and that did the trick. It blended at a very high speed for what was about 1 minute and whola I had peanut butter! I think if I'm going to make chunky I would just add a few at the end and blend for a few seconds. Boston wanted to try it right away and he LOVED IT! It tasted way better than the store bought brand. All the boys have had peanut butter and jelly (Boston peanut butter and banana) sandwiches and they devoured them. So it's a big hit here and I probably will never buy another jar of peanut butter from the store!
By the way...you have to store it in the fridge so it won't go bad.

No comments: