Friday, April 4, 2008

Vaccinations

A friend of mine, Sharla, started a new blog on vaccines. http://saynotovaccines.blogspot.com/ For sometime I've been meaning to do more research on whether to vaccinate the kids or not, but to be honest I was worried about making the "wrong" decision so I just kept doing what the majority of people do and what the pediatricians recommend. After reading some articles on Sharla's website, especially this part struck me right in the face, I think I'm changing my mind:

The U.S. government has concluded that childhood vaccines contributed to symptoms of autism in 9-year-old Hannah Poling. The unprecedented concession was in response to one of three test cases that allege the mercury-containing vaccine preservative thimerosal caused autism in children.

According to the case, the child was healthy and developing normally until her 18-month well-baby visit, where she received vaccinations for nine diseases, two of which contained thimerosal. Within 48 hours of the shots, Hannah become ill, refused to walk and could not sleep through the night. Within three months, she began showing signs of autism.

According to U.S. Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation, the shots "significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder" and resulted in a brain disorder "with features of autism spectrum disorder."

Although federal officials continue to say there is no link between autism and vaccines, this concession says otherwise.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has determined that Hannah’s family is entitled to compensation from a federal vaccine injury fund in an amount that is still being determined.

And then today I got an email from a girlfriend, Jackie, who used to be in a moms group I was in when the boys were younger. Here's something she said in her email today,

Finally, for this e-mail anyway, here is my scientific evidence:

Ashlyn fully vaccinated…delayed at 2, severe regression at 4 after her booster shots, and flu shots….diagnoses- Autism with severe sensory integration dysfunction, severe expressive language delay.

Noah fully vaccinated until age 3, plateau of skills at 2…diagnoses- Sensory Processing Disorder, expressive/ receptive language delay, low blood sugar, acid reflux

Gracie vaccinated until 9 month when she developed RSV, we then decided until more research was done none of the children would receive vaccinations. Gracie recovered within 2 months of treatment, and has not been vaccinated since…amazingly enough she has never had to use her breathing treatment since, and is developing quite well.

Wow...this is all enough for me to put a halt on vaccinating until I know more. I would rather my child come down with chicken pox or measles than has autism, something I can't cure. I'm reading all this information with tears in my eyes from the lack of knowledge parents are getting on this. Scared and thankful that my boys weren't affected by it. Boston has had all his shots on time. Dallas didn't start most of his vaccinations until he was over 1 year old (because our insurance didn't cover it and I didn't want to take him to the public health place). Asher has had all his on time so far. Wow is all I can say. So much to take in! And so much to be thankful for that I have 3 healthy boys. Wow. Wow. Wow.

3 comments:

Stef Layton said...

thanks for posting - you're right, our lack of knowledge can/is hurting our own children! And we're all alike Cricket, thinking our pediatricians are steering us in the right direction! Another site - www.generationrescue.com

The Wagner Family said...

Thanks, Cricket, for posting this information. I've never been a big fan of the vaccines either but like you said have gone along with them. I have managed to put off the shots they get at five - except for tetnus. Another thing that makes me nervous is all the x-rays the dentist wants to give them every year. I put those off saying, "I'm not convinced all that radiation is actually good for you." Anyway. I'm thankful to God, too, that my kids weren't effected by their early shots.

Anonymous said...

So scary, isnt it? I think it's such a tough call. :( We've vaccinated our girls up to date on everything. I know Alana has some more stuff ahead since she's so young. Right now we refuse the flu shot. I have to read more on it.

I know our pediatrician will recommend to stay up to date on the shots. I think they have to be up to date on certain ones to attend school as well, right?

Also, I think some pediatricians can refuse to keep seeing your children if you refuse shots. At least that's what Ive heard. But you can delay some. Id talk to their doctor.

Man, being a mom is SO hard!!!