Monday, April 7, 2008

Traditional vs Homeschool

As I await the lottery results for the charter schools for Boston next year I have mixed emotions regarding traditional school and homeschool. This time last year I felt God calling us to homeschool. I went to the conference, fell in love with homeschooling, only to be abruptly steered in the VPK direction (voluntery pre-kindergarden). I prayed and prayed and I know this was God's best choice for us this year as it has been wonderful for Boston and the whole family. And I've been praying and praying and both Sean and I feel God leading us to charter school next year. But last week I got the Sunlight Curriculim catalogue in the mail (a homeschool program for those of you unfamiliar) and today I got the Florida Homeschool Convention registration and catalog. It reminded me how much I love homeschooling. But I want to make the right decision, God's direction for our future. So I'm not going to make any "emotional" decisions. So I wait....and wait...and wait...and hopefully God will reveal his perfect plan for schooling next year to us this week!

3 comments:

Stef Layton said...

Rachel Cascarelli told me about Sonlight, we've gotten some packages for next year - she can offer her experience since she did pre-K w/ James! Jenny & Rebecca have a lot of knowledge with A Beka! GOOD LUCK! It came to us out of the blue, and we realized that was where we were being lead, because I was against homeschooling. Now - I'm singing a completely different tune! I'm praying you find your answer clearly!

Cricket said...

Thanks Stef. Yes, I had done a TON of research and my two favorite were Sonlight and A Beka. I was planning on doing a combination of both, that is until we ended up in the VPK system. So well see what happens with the charter school system...who knows what we will be doing. I feel like at least I love both, so that's got to be good! I love Sonlight books so much I think we will buy some this year even if we do go with the charter school system.

Anonymous said...

My SIL homeschools her 3 boys - they are in 1st & 3rd grade now. She does the Florida School at home curriculum. Not sure if its exactly called that, lol. But basically she has a conference call every 2 weeks w/ a real school teacher from her zoned school and the kids take the FCATs, etc. Its just all done at home. They provide you with a pc for the kids too. When she tells me about it I get very interested.