Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sweet encounter

I took the boys to Target today and we had lunch there before shopping. As we were sitting at our table I noticed an elderly couple sitting next to us. They looked so in love and happy. I thought to myself, "I hope Sean and I live long enough to be that happy when we are old and grey." I so badly wanted to ask her how long they had been married. It was then that she started talking to me. I asked her how long, she replied 64 years! She is 86 and her husband is 88. Wow! Amazing. She told me her advice to a long lasting marriage is lots of forgiveness. Not to dwell on the litle things and keep remembering it, it will build a wall between you. She said not to sweat the small stuff and live each day for today. The kids will grow up faster than I know it. She said we should live in a small house and travel a lot. They have 4 children, 12 grandchildren and 2 great grandchilden. She then asked if our 3rd was a boy or a girl, I replied boy. She said that two of their children had 3 girls and got their boy on the 4th try. It was such a great conversation and I couldn't not think that she was an angel sent from God to give me a glimer of hope. After a stressful morning of dwelling and stressing on too many things she gave me new life! Thank you to this precious stranger that changed my attitude today. It was a morning of self pity after cleaning up dog poo and pee for 2 days, house cleaning way behind because of the latter, kids to tend too, a busy weekend coming with company, and a LONGGGGGGGGGGG list of to do's. I was angry, wanted a break, wanted sleep, needed a coke, needed breakfast (too busy taking care of everyone else to take care of me). But she made me stop and think about what is really important. She made me appriciate my husband and my beautiful boys. She made me remember why I love our small house. She made me remember that I shouldn't dwell on such pity things. What a blessing my elderly angel was today!

No comments: