Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Children's shows today

Kids programming today is not necessarily appropriate for children. There are so many kids programs that I forbid my children to watch. (Another reason we don't subscribe to cable in our house.) And what makes me sad is that many of the children's animated movies have words that just don't have to be used. Words like "stupid" or name calling. Do the people who make these shows have children of their own? Why would you want to teach children to use these words. I've tried to make it a learning experience whenever we do run into something that uses wording we don't approve of in our house. And after having gotten in trouble before for repeating something he heard, Boston is quick to ask me whether it is okay to say something he has heard. Even the most simple of things like, "Mommy, is it okay to say spontaneous." So at least he is learning what words are good and what ones are bad to use. I just only wish the makers of kids programming would put out more educational, value-based, moral shows. Leave out the unnecessary bad stuff, inappropriate material, and jokes that parents might find too funny (that usually means it's probably not something the kids should be hearing.) Lately the boys have somehow started on using the word "poop" in any way possible. Guess it's something little boys have found funny for generations, but when they start calling each other poopyhead it's defiantly gone to far for me. I don't want to shelter my children but I also don't want their little minds being filled with too much unnecessary junk. So I'll continue to teach, educate and instill good values and morals, polite boys who love God and wish to always to the right thing. It's an uphill battle in the world today...but a challenge I ready for!

One movie we rented recently that we really liked was Meet the Robinsons. It had some really great things to be taught. Like "keep moving forward"-don't live in the past, don't blame others for your actions, always do your best, “Failure can be brilliant leading to your future success!” and more. Boston and Dallas are very competitive like their daddy and we are trying to teach them that winning is good but that you have to learn how to lose in a good way as well. I thought this was covered so well in the movie. That when you fail at something you should use it as a learning experience to do better next time. You should be thankful for failure because it only makes you better.

So those are my thoughts today...

1 comment:

Tiffanie Hage said...

I hear ya. It's ridiculous some of the curse words that I find in CARTOONS...it's like I need to go to the "G" shows first just to preview them for my boys.