Saturday, May 31, 2008

Oakland Charter School

Peace. That's what I feel today regarding schooling for Boston last year. After much prayer and thought I finally feel God's hand. I had prayed for so long that God would get us into 1 charter school so I would know exactly where he intended for Boston to go. When we didn't get into any I was confused and thought that God was telling me to homeschool. So I decided to follow what he wanted and focused on homeschooling. The conference was amazing and I was excited about what homeschool had in store, not so confident on my ability, but I knew if this was God's plan he would provide me with what I needed to succeed. Sean and I LOVED the homeschool conference, but on Tuesday found out that we got into Oakland Charter School. Then....confusion. What is it that he wants me to do? I have been stressing over the decision all week. My friend Tina then said something that sparked much thought. She said, "Cricket, I don't think God would have let you into Oakland if he didn't intend for you to go there." And then it was as if a light bulb went off. God had always intended for him to go to Oakland, but he needed to change my perspective on schooling all together. I always thought if my kids went to school I would be involved but I'm not sure that I would have the same perspective I have of it that I do today. I say this to say that I do believe that Boston is supposed to go to Oakland next year, but that I'm still suppossed to continue schooling him myself. Ultimately his schooling is our responsibility, not his teachers. I'll take the best of homeschool and combine it with day school. The best of both worlds. And for me I wouldn't have to struggle with the guilt that I wasn't doing enough if I was homeschooling. This is called After Schooling. I've already started the Phonics and reading with Boston and Sean and I ordered a math program that we will start working with him on this summer. I will continue to make everything a learning experience and be actively involved in his schooling even if he's not with me all day. For me this seems like the best of both worlds. And it still gives me time to devote to the younger ones in the family.

I'm so excited! I'm so happy! I feel so much peace that this is exactly what we are supposed to do next year. So on Monday morning we go to Oakland for Sean and Boston to tour the school (I already have) and to register Boston. What a great year it is going to be!!!!!! It's amazing how God can take you on a different path than the one you had planned, only to lead you to the same destination, but changing your perspective along the way. God is so good!

4 comments:

Betsy Nickel Photography said...

Very cool! I'm so glad you finally have PEACE!! Peace is from GOD and that is a GREAT feeling to have! (especially when it comes to our kids!)
We had such a great time last night. We were so happy you could come over! I hope we can do it again some time! The kids keep asking when you are coming over again! They had a lot of fun!! :o) I hope Asher is feeling better today! Betsy

Tiffanie Hage said...

I'm so glad that you have peace over this decision. I know all too well the feeling you were going thru. We, as parents, want to do what's best for our kids, and starting school is one of those really tough issues to decide on. School is where they spend the majority of their day and you want it to be a place of peace, comfort, fun and somewhere they feel emotionally safe. I'm so glad you are happy with your decision! Now go and enjoy your summer! :)

Anonymous said...

God always answers prayer. It is the listening that we always seem to struggle with. I am glad that you have been able to have a clear insight as to what He wants for you and your children. You have a great devotion to your children and their education and you will find much peace in having Boston in school during the day and being able to follow up with him at home. I am so glad that you have a complete sense of peace. Lori

Chelle said...

That's great news! Im glad to hear he got in and that you are happy with it!! YAY!