Friday, October 24, 2008

Vaccinations and Jenny's Book

So I had heard how great Jenny McCarthy's book Louder Than Words is but never really thought I would read it because really how could I relate to it. And not that I have an "autistic non functioning" child, but even if you have a child with slight sensory issues, or even ADHD, you look for anything that might be affecting him. Be it diet, supplements, therapy or whatever. And I have to say I really enjoyed her book and seriously would recommend it to ANYONE. I think everyone in our country needs to be aware that the medical field isn't helping. For the most part they are more interested in making money I feel on vaccinations (and this isn't really what the book says, just my opinion) I don't necessarily believe that it's all the vaccinations that are causing the problems but you can't deny a connection when the numbers greatly increased at the same time that they added a lot more vaccinations to the poor children. And what is frustrating is that the news is so unbelievably biased! They have doctors on that say there is no connection but don't have the other side on most of the time. (Here book isn't all about vaccinations - more about how she HEALED her child of Autism. And this is why it's an important book...to show parents that there children don't have to be medicated for the problem, they need to find what the child's issue is and fix that. And ADHD child doesn't have to be medicated as long as you change a few things then you can probably SOLVE the problem.)

1 in 94 boys is diagnosed on the autistic spectrum (this includes Autism, ADHD, Sensory issues and Aspergers.) Those numbers are amazing! And how many AREN'T diagnosed??? What is it going to take for the medical field to open there eyes to the fact that there IS something going one. What is it? It's not a genetic epidemic and most of these kids are for the most part developing normally (with some eccentricities) until a certain age. If kids were dying it would be a different story, but they are sometimes just labeled "the problem child" or "he just has ADHD" or "he's just a little different." When they don't stand out then people don't SEE it. But the parents do, they know that something is different. The medical field passes it off as and acceptable casualty.

There are toxins in the vaccines. That is a fact. And the vaccines can be made safe. And they can be given on a better schedule. But when money is involved and those people aren't affected they don't really care. The parents of these children can foot the vaccine-damaged child's bill.

I think vaccinations are a good thing when they are safe. We don't want polio coming back. But we also need to face the fact that something is going on. We shouldn't have this many children with this many problems.

Sorry to get on my soap box today but I just had to get it out there. If more people are more vocal about it then maybe they will wake up and listen to us. Of course my doctor fought me when I stopped vaccinationing Asher at 9 months. He made me sign a waiver making me feel like a horrible parent. But I had prayed and sought wisdom regarding it and God gave me much peace with it. And now I'm so glad I did that. I will vaccinate him, but on MY time, and the way I want it done.

2 comments:

Stef Layton said...

great post Cricket! After Hank's 2 month shot schedule and his leg blowing up red, crying for an hour AFTER tylenol and refusing to nurse - it was scary. They were going to make me leave him at the children's hospital for 24 hours to observe him. It was crazy - thankfully God comforted him in a lukewarm bath. From then on - he only gets 1 shot, and I've crossed a few off that he "doesn't" need right now - chicken pox, etc.

Thankfully my pediatrician has not been pushy, and she even told me the only reason that children get Hep B even if the mother is negative - because it's a "target" - if they didn't at a a baby - then they'd never come back as teenagers, etc. to get it whent hey're older.

We've only gotten 1 shot per visit for the prevnar, because that's what caused a lot of problems with Jake's ears - having the strep in his ears - but we're not getting MMR and splitting it when we do it get it - when he's 2 yrs!

You're absolutely right - dr.s are just looking at our kids as patient 11am - not with loving care as a their mother does to protect them!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cricket --

I have to add my two cents to this. You are absolutely right about vaccines. I searched and searched for a more holistic pediatrician...I think in this day and age, you have to make sure your philosophy matches that of your doctors. (he received his MD in Italy, which I think actually makes him more receptive to parental requests, concerns...)

We go on a much slower schedule than the AAP suggests and we have delayed MMR (probably postponed until she goes into preschool.)

Another thing we can do reduce exposure includes having our kids tested for the antibody markers "tethers" instead of the subsequent doses. (point of interest -- I never had the 2nd MMR shot...I just got tested for the tethers before college...i did again before getting pregnant with Emily.)

I plan on doing the same with Emily, esp. with the MMR. (the only reason for the 2nd shot is that a certain percentage of the population (i think its 5%) doesn't acquire immunity with the 1st dose.) That's true with several of the vaccines.

anyways...good blog entry. Stick to your guns with your pediatrician. If necessary, take in peer reviewed articles that support your position....that usually makes them think.