Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Update on Dallas

So I've had a lot of questions about Dallas. First off-he's the same kid he's always been. And he acts pretty much no different than other kids when you meet him, but there are a few things he does that stand out to Sean and I because we are with him all the time. And when you compare those behavioral things to his brothers it's a little different. Nothing horrific, nothing devastating, nothing not fixable. But if it does end up being Sensory Integration Disorder or Aspergers Syndrome, then it's something we can work with and he won't have a problem when he gets older. I would help us to parent him better and understand what he's thinking. It's one of those things that most people would never notice at this point and some people may even think I'm crazy for pointing it out or seeking help because he just doesn't seem any different. But I figure, why not know for sure. Then if nothing is wrong, then I know I must have the most defiant child on the face of this earth. LOL But if there is, then we can seek Occupational Therapy early on and no one will ever know. We can change his diet if he's allergic to wheat or something and it would explain the diarrhea and upset stomachs and the picky eating. And yes these "titles" are all in the Autistic Spectrum but it doesn't mean in any way he's Autistic. ADHD is also in the autistic spectrum. It just means there's a behavioral abnormality and that there are things to correct it. And I feel its important to talk about it because its not discussed enough. 1 in 150 children are in the Autistic Spectrum and I think parents should be educated on it more so that they can help their children out, whether it be diet or therapy. I don't think it means the children are "weird" or that they should be ashamed. The more people talk about it the more children benefit. So that's why I'm talking and keeping you posted on our journey to discovery. Maybe I can help another parent out there that is wondering why it's so difficult to parent this child but not the others.

No comments: