Sunday, August 17, 2008

Promotion Sunday for the boys

Today was promotion day at church and all the boys moved up. Asher is now in a toddler classroom so he will be missing his morning nap. Dallas, luckily, is in our friends Chuck and Mindy's class and I couldn't be happier with that. Boston moved up into the children's program from the preschool program. He now only goes to Sunday School and then has to go to big church with us. What ever happened to children's church???? How in the world are you to expect a 5 year old to sit through 1 1/2 to 2 hours of church that's not at all exciting for a 5 year old. When I dropped him off I told the lady it was our first time up there and is their anything I needed to know. She didn't say anything to me about him having to be picked up at 10:15 or he would go to a late room. I was volunteering today in a 2 year old class and at 10:30 I left to go get him and couldn't find him anywhere, nor any of his teachers. I finally found his teacher and she told me he was in the late room. Poor Boston, he was having to just sit there in a chair and wait for me for 15 minutes. Horrible. There should have been communication to me about this. Then we headed to big church and he did very good for most of the time and I was very proud of him, but I ended up having to leave early because he was just over it. I didn't hear a word the pastor said today because I was just focused on Boston not making any noise. Then when I came to pick up Asher he was screaming bloody murder with tears all down his face, no pacifier in sight, nor his blanket. Evidently there was no communication between the first hour teacher and the second. Poor Asher. Dallas had a great day though. At least one of them did. Boston said there were no toys in his classroom, he didn't get to go outside, there were no snacks and he had to stand up the whole time in the Harbor. I just feel so bad for him. What a huge difference it has been for him. To go from 3 hours of playing with lots of toys, two trips to the playground, 2 snacks and lots of fun, today had to seem like punishment more than excitement of moving up to kindergarten. For so long he's been looking forward to kindergarten, but I think he probably thinks now kindergarten means no fun. Sean and I are not considering switching to Saturday nights where they have a great children's program and children's church. I don't want Boston to have the impression that church isn't fun and doesn't want to come anymore. He used to look forward to Sundays. So we'll see. We will have to pray about it and try it out a few more times I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is why we go Saturday nights now!! The kids love Pastor Allen( a real children's pastor)and Ethan gets to be in the drama!! They have learned so much about the bible then they would on Sunday mornings. Plus this weekend Pastor David said quite a few words that I am not ready to explain to my kids what they mean(orgie!!!)
Love to see ya'll on Sat. nights!! Lynn :)