Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hurricane Day

School was cancelled today with Hurricane Fran on her way, but, like all hurricanes, her path and speed changed. After having lived in Florida most all my life, hurricanes don't usually bring a great deal of stress to me. Really tornadoes scare me a lot more. Hurricanes are always changing and before I put my whole life on hold, we now wait it out until the last minute. As I'm writing this I'm listening to the rain outside, no thunder or lightening even. Just a simple storm with some wind gusts, but nothing really. When I picked Boston us from school yesterday one of the first things he said to me was, "Mom there's a hurricane coming!!! You need to the watch the movie." I later realized he mean tv. And then he told me we needed to have a hurricane party. One of his friends at school said his family was going to have one. So he thought we should have cupcakes, a cake and a real good party. So funny!! Of course growing up, we actually looked forward to the excitement of a hurricane and having a hurricane party. For those of you reading this that don't live in Florida you probably think we are crazy, well keep reading. When you find out what we did today you will really think we are! I remember in college, my senior year, we had school cancelled on my 22nd birthday due to a hurricane coming. So Sean, Jess and Bart (who were dating) and Erica and Tony and I all went to Applebees and they had Hurricane drinks for $1 in celebration of the hurricane. What a fun b-day.

Asher in a very appropriate shirt for today (Slippery When Wet)

Anyhow...after having woke up today and hearing Fran was moving very slow and hardly any rain right now AND that Disney was still open my parents and I decided to head to Magic Kingdom. No use in sitting around here! So we headed out and had a blast. We had a few sprinkles here and there but no down pour. And in 3 and 1/2 hours we rode a ton of rides since there weren't many people there. The boys had a blast and it was a fun memorable hurricane day! (to the right is Boston and Papa on the Buzz Lightyear ride and Dallas below with his FAVORITE character, Buzz!)
Riding the people mover with Nena and Papa

1 comment:

emily said...

it looks like we might be having a hurricane day on friday!! So funny...but we might have do have a hurricane party ourselves! Glad school went well for the boys and you!