Monday, August 11, 2008

1 week until school starts!

1 week from today everything in the Whitman household is about to take a dramatic shift. School will be starting and things will change forever. Gone are the leasure mornings with unscheduled afternoons of fun. It's hard to think that Boston and Dallas will forever now be in school until they leave our house now. I do feel like I've cherished and enjoyed their toddler days and all that they bring. So I'll be starting back at the gym this week (my 5:30am wakeup call to have a little devotion with God and head to the gym). Then I'll get back in time to get everyone ready and fed and off to school.

And the peace that comes with this upcoming year is so awesome! After having prayed for years about what God wanted us to do regarding schooling the boys, he granted me wisdom and guidance and ultimately PEACE! And the confirmations that we have made the right decision have come in so many forms. Oh I'm so glad we are not homeschooling. And like I've said many times before, I LOVE homeschooling and think its an amazing way of teaching, but I do now think that God knew that it wasn't the best thing for our family at this time. I can't imagine the stress I would inflict on myself, always feeling like I wasn't doing enough, always thinking about what to do next, not just enjoying the boys. That's why I don't think I was made to homeschool. I'm hard enough on myself as a parent, I can't imagine how hard I would be on myself as their educator. So, thank you God for giving me Peace with the school's You have found for the boys!

We have been practicing what it will be like to have lunch at school so Boston will be prepared. When we went to pick out his lunch box last week he was so cute in the one he picked. Of course there was a barrage of character lunch boxes with all the popular figures the kids love. But Boston searched and searched and looked like he had found a treasure when he so proudly displayed to me the perfect lunch box for him. It is a plain, simple, red lunch box and he LOVES it. He carries it everywhere around the house and requests to eat out of it for every meal. I love watching simple joys like this in their little lives that give the most precious smile on their faces.

So this week I'm going to try and live up the last week of summer, attend orientation and meet the teacher at both of their schools and cherish every moment of this week. I always loved school, and I feel the same excitement that I felt when the first day of school was nearing for me each year. School brought so much happiness and fun and I love the fact that I can have that same feeling again as they near the first day of school. SCHOOL HERE WE COME!!!!

No comments: