Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Great Pumpkin


Who's heard of The Great Pumpkin? Well this is a new tradtion we are starting this year in our house. After the kids got all their treats they went threw them all, picked out their favorites and put them in a zip lock bag. The rest they put back in their pumpkin bags at the front door for The Great Pumpkin to come collect. (I would have probably put them on a fireplace but we don't have one.) This morning when they woke up they had a gift (they got a Leapster Gaming unit so they can play their portable games on the TV) and they each got a electric Spiderman toothbrush (appropriate right??) And The Great Pumpkin left them a note saying thank you for the candy and he'll see them next year. Oh the excitement when they found this at the door with empty pumpkins! I don't usually let the kids have candy, only on special occasions, so I thought this might be a good way to lessen the effect of the massive amounts of candy they recieve. I'm sure they will catch on about the same time they figure out Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real, but hey, at least they won't have as many cavities until then!

They funny thing was having Boston ask 20 questions on the way home about The Great Pumpkin. He wanted to know if he's just a man in a costume or real....boy is he smart! And he wanted to know where he lives...Pumpkinland of course (quick thinking!) He wanted to know how he gets to our house, what he sleeps in, does anyone live there with him, what he likes to do, does he eat the candy, does he have hands and feet, does he walk, pumpkins can't walk mom!, and on and on. The only one that really stumpped me was how he gets here, so I told him to ask daddy. I couldn't decide whether he should fly or ride in something. He forgot so I'll have to figure out that answer before next year. But this year it was a great success! Ya for The Great Pumpkin (and the awesome stash of candy for Mommy and Daddy to escape to in times of need!) And yes, I had all intentions of wrapping the gift and decorating it with pumpkins, but at 9:30pm last night this mommy was so tired the best I could do was reuse an old baby

gift bag. At least at this age they didn't know any difference. I'll have to be a little more creative next year!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

What a great idea? I may have to try that one next year!!!
Mindy