Sunday, May 23, 2010

$70/week update with Gingerbread Spice cake

Here's my update on my goal of spending $70 a week. I made a menu for the next 2 weeks of meals and snacks and Sean and I did all the shopping this weekend. We ended up spending a total of $190. So that's $95 a week. A good start. Hopefully we won't have to make anymore trips. (although I might have to send Sean for milk and bread but we will see). We shopped at Aldi's (a new store here that offers super low prices, Sams and Publix). I didn't use any coupons this time around because I didn't find time to organize that this time around, but I know that would have defiantly helped get me closer to my goal of $70/week. We'll see next time. I also bought some bulk items that will last me for several months (like meat, cheese, etc)

Everything I bought was free of artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

For dinner last night we had burgers, sweet potatoes, and salad. Tonight we had hot dogs, baked beans and corn on the cob. I also made homemade hummus and a Ginger spice cake (which looks more like bread-and it's SUPER yummy, AND healthy! And no one can tell there 1 cup of broccoli and 1/2 cup of carrots in it (pured of course). I got a huge smile and "this is great" from Sean. The kids were asleep so I'll have to test it on them in the morning.

No comments: